- Vice President Joe Biden travels to colleges and universities spreading the White House message on the Not Alone report and initiative to end campus sexual assault. http://time.com/97452/campus-sexual-assault-joe-biden/
- Columbia University rapists list was distributed by activists, but the school's newspaper censored the rapists names. This week, we learned the one of the those censored names was a newspaper staff writer. http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/05/14/columbia_university_alleged_rapist_list_how_bwog_journalists_reported_on.html
- Teenage girl in Virginia kicked out of prom because her dress was thought to lead boys to "think impure thoughts" http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/05/13/3437464/teen-girl-prom-impure-thoughts/
- Senators Claire McCaskill (MO), Kirsten Gillibrand (NY), Richard Blumenthal (CT) have announced for three Senate Roundtables to discuss campus sexual assault in the U.S. because as Sen. Gillibrand said, "The price of a college education should never include a 1 in 5 chance of being sexually assaulted" http://www.mccaskill.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=12168
- Title IX means more than equal participation in sports. It also requires colleges to prevent sexual assault and violence on campus. http://www.npr.org/2014/05/08/310794174/lately-title-ix-has-made-its-presence-felt-beyond-the-playing-field?utm_source=npr_email_a_friend&utm_medium=email&utm_content=20140512&utm_campaign=storyshare&utm_term
- Education Protects Girls from all forms of abuse http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/05/education-protects-women-from-abuse/371001/
Here's what we're reading this week!
These stories discuss sexual violence and rape culture. They may be upsetting to some readers.